Skrik (II)














Over gehoorbeschermers gesproken… In de 320 pagina’s lange weerslag van een conversatie van David Lipsky met David Foster Wallace (DFW) vertelt de laatste over de periode waarin hij het manuscript van Infinite Jest voltooide. Terwijl hij aan het werk was zat zijn hond, Jeeves, in de kamer ernaast: ‘And the entire time would be spent with Jeeves up on his paws on this dog gate barkin’ at me. And I would either have headphones on, or I bought these earplugs, you know, those foam earplugs? And then finally a friend gave me – because even that wouldn’t block it out – a friend gave me, you know, what airline workers use? Those earmuffs? That I would put on over the earplugs. It’s really weird to type when you can’t hear the sound of the keyboard, that anchors you in some weird way. So it got very dreamy.

Although of course you end up becoming yourself, a road trip with David Foster Wallace, David Lipsky, Broadway Books, New York, 2010 (p. 244/245).